Job ID 13611
Search Categories: Controllerships, Sr. Accounting & Financial Management
Type of Employment: Permanent
The controller will be responsible for the daily oversight of the college’s accounting function with the purpose of facilitating timely financial reporting. The controller will also be responsible for assisting the chief financial and administrative officer in the development and implementation of internal controls and efficiencies in cross-departmental financial operations. The controller works with external financial auditors to ensure the timely completion of audits.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of all accounting transactions and compliance with federal, state, department of higher education and college regulations and policies and generally accepted accounting practices.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Ensure profit and loss statements, balance sheets and other financial reports are produced monthly, quarterly, and annually.
- Assist the chief financial and administrative officer (CFAO) in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans on a monthly basis and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Assist the CFAO in managing organizational cash flow forecasting.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Prepare reports and surveys, as required by regulatory agencies; prepare annual financial statements and documents in support of the annual independent audit and other audit activities.
- Plan and implement new operating procedures and information technology advances to improve accounting and financial service quality and efficiency.
- Supervise accounting staff and be a direct contributor to the daily workflow and operations of the department.
- Maintain a standard of superior service to all the college’s community members; foster and maintain positive relationships and work collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Serve as the college’s primary point of contact for external accounting and auditing entities.
- Step in and provide backup support in critical functions, including payroll, to cover staff absences.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a closely related field and six years of experience in accounting in a higher education or non-profit environment.
- Sufficient acumen with computers, databases and other technology to meet the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience and expertise in general ledger accounting, including state, federal and fund accounts.
- Must be able to: respond effectively to questions and prepare material in response to inquiries.
- Must have the capacity to maintain confidentiality.
- Master’s degree in accounting or a closely related field preferred.
- Experience with ADP WorkforceNow payroll software, Netsuite accounting software, Google platforms and the Microsoft Office Suite preferred.